Working at The Skillman Foundation
The Skillman Foundation is proud of its staff and the exciting job opportunities that exist at the Foundation. From time to time we have job openings, which will be posted below.
We invite prospective applicants to view these job postings and, if qualified, submit a resume and cover letter via email, fax, or mail. No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in The Skillman Foundation. Resumes will be held in strict confidence, and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Skillman Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and shall continue to adhere to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, and position status without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, weight, height or handicap.
Provide support to The Skillman Foundation and Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF), in implementing communication strategies to help advance the work of the organizations through activities that include:
- Write and edit articles, blogs, web content, event summaries, and other materials as appropriate.
- Manage multiple social media accounts: create engaging text, image and video content; stay on top of current trends and changes; facilitate online conversations; track metrics and develop strategies accordingly; and support staff to bolster their presence as thought leaders.
- Update website copy.
- Support video projects, including production of videos for web.
- Support communications research projects for communications optimization and best practices.
- Produce e-newsletter, including managing and growing subscriber list.
- Design graphic ads using Adobe Photoshop for online and print, including social media ads and print ads for sponsored events.
- Support media relations, developing press releases and executing press follow up.
The successful candidate should possess a bachelor’s degree in communications (master’s degree preferred); five years of professional experience in communications, journalism, marketing, advertising, or public relations; serious interest in the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors; and the following:
- Skills and experience: Exceptional written and verbal communications skills; social media strategy and execution; light graphic design and video production; public relations; project management
- Characteristics: Detail oriented; quick learner; self-starter; creative problem solver; flexible; well-organized; able to prioritize and manage multiple projects; committed to meeting deadlines and goals
- Abilities: Works well independently as well as within a team; works well with a variety of personality types
- Willingness to travel within the state and nationally to attend meetings and conferences