The Skillman Foundation provides grant funding and other supports to organizations that expand opportunity for Detroit children and help them achieve their highest aspirations through K-12 education, afterschool learning opportunities, and pathways to college and career.
We support a high-quality system of schools that help children meet educational milestones and move through life as capable and confident thinkers.
We with community partners to build a robust ecosystem of out-of-school learning opportunities that allow kids to explore and expand their sense of self and the world under the guidance of caring adults.
College & Career Pathways
We support an integrated, youth-centered college and career pathway system to provide youth with the experiences, supports, and opportunities needed to follow a path of their choosing, leading us all to a more prosperous and equitable future.
Grant Partner Requirements
- Be a nonprofit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and provide your tax ID (EIN) number or be a government or public agency (city, county, state, public school district)
- Be a publicly supported charity as defined in Section 509(a) of the Internal Revenue Code
- Have total revenues of at least $100,000 for your preceding fiscal year and be able to provide a copy of a current financial audit conducted by an independent certified public accountant
- In policy and practice, offer opportunity and service to all, regardless of age, race, creed, gender, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and ethnicity
What We Don’t Fund
- For-profit institutions
- Endowments, building campaigns, or capital costs, including construction, renovation, or equipment
- Political campaigns, to support political activities or to lobby for or against pieces of legislation
- Award scholarships or provide tuition assistance