In addition to learning from young people and those who champion them, and from thought leaders near and far, we turn to quality journalism to keep abreast of issues that impact Detroit and its children.
News Outlets We Fund
- Chalkbeat Detroit: A nonprofit news source dedicated to reporting on Detroit’s education system and its impact on students, families, and the city.
- Bridge Detroit: Launched in 2020, Bridge Detroit offers a nonprofit, community-focused perspective on news and issues that affect Detroiters.
- Authentically Detroit: A podcast that takes a comprehensive look at contemporary issues—such as housing, spatial racism, economic development, neighborhood planning, self-care, and community trauma—and how they impact Detroit. The Skillman Foundation supports a youth voice series where young Detroiters are producers and panelists.
Other Outlets We Read
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Detour Detroit
- The Detroit Free Press
- The Detroit News
- The Download by the Council of Michigan Foundations
- The Foundation Review
- Michigan Chronicle
- The Michigan Nonprofit Association Blog
- Michigan Radio
- Model D Media
- The New York Times
- Nonprofit Quarterly
- Philanthropy News Digest
- USA Today
- The Washington Post
Please note: The views expressed in these publications do not necessarily reflect those of The Skillman Foundation, and vice-versa. We believe in unbiased, informative journalism that allows outlets to share news stories and opinions free from external influences.